A guidance counselor is integral to helping a student adapt and understand their own educational and academic goals. They give guidance on how to fulfill their aspirations and also make the goal realistic. Most schools today have dedicated guidance counselors who help students get a clear picture of what they can aspire for and how they can achieve their goals. The modern-day counselor offers a wide range of services that help the student prepare for life. After all, getting admission in a college with the right set of subjects is just the stepping stone to bigger achievements in your life.
Career counseling for teenagers
Career counseling is no longer just guidance about which college to apply for. It is a comprehensive service that includes an aptitude test. This is the first step to self-assessment and acceptance of what your career path could be. The counselor helps by catering to the individual requirements every student might have.
The first step is done. The counselor helps you to choose prospective colleges and suggests a route by which you can reach your career goal. They will help you know the admission criteria for each college you might be a fit for. The next step is to access and fill admission forms and other relevant details. Many counselors offer a full package and help you through the application process too.
How to select colleges?
The biggest dilemma of all that a student faces is how to choose the college that is best suited to their career choice. Once more, your counselor comes to the rescue. The information that the counselor shares with you is detailed and comprehensive.
- Location is one of the most important questions for the student. Do you want to study from home, or are you willing to relocate?
- The curriculum that the college offers and the courses you can apply for is also important.
- The size and reputation of the college also matter. You might want big names that are associated with large class sizes. Or, on the other hand, you may want to look at colleges that have more teachers per class in accordance with the number of students.
- The infrastructure capacity of the college is of great importance. If you are a science student, you might want to take a tour of the laboratory facilities.
- Religious orientation may be of some significance in a diverse country like India. There are some colleges that prefer a certain ethnic group as students. This should be given due consideration as there might be repercussions if college politics is rampant.
- If you are the sporty type, look for colleges with good facilities, so that you do not lose out on sports.
- The college cost is also to be taken into consideration when you apply. Check if there is any financial aid available or a provision for scholarships that can save you money.
- It is a good idea to talk to the alumni and get a clear picture of what to expect.
Most of these parameters can be addressed by your guidance counselor even before you apply. This will save you a lot in application fees and time!