Explore all you need to know about Biotechnology (Graduates and Post Graduate), from admission Criteria to Courses/Degrees available to Best colleges offering Biotechnology Programs. Continue to read about Biotechnology career options - eligibility, courses, colleges, salary and jobs or know about other career Options after 12th with detail on courses after 12th class and admission criteria and top colleges.
Here is the complete guide to a career in Biotechnology.
Biotechnology Introduction and scope
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is utilizing the sciences of biology, chemistry, physics, engineering and information technology to develop tools and products to apply to living cells/organisms. Genetic Engineering Genetic engineering is the study of knowledge obtained from genetics to alter the reproduction and hereditary processes of organisms. It deals in cloning, in-vitro fertilization, species hybridization or direct manipulation of the genetic material itself by the recombinant DNA technique. Plant Tissue Culture Functions in the field of in-vitro regeneration and propagation of plantlets, a Tissue Culture specialist may also be involved in plant germ plasma conservation. Plant Genetics Activities to improve plants by evolving new horticultural varieties through hybridization, this work is generally carried out in the laboratories.
Biotechnology Admission Process, Eligibility Requirements
What is the eligibility criteria for admission to Biotechnology courses in India? Know the eligibility criteria for Biotechnology courses in India
- For B. Sc. Courses: Pass in 10+2 with PCM. (Biology)
- For M. Sc. Courses: Bachelor’s degree under 10+2+3 in Physical, Biological, Agricultural, Veterinary, Fishery Sciences, Pharmacy, Engineering, Technology or Medicine (MBBS)
- For M. Sc. (Agriculture) Biotechnology/M.Sc. Animal Biotechnology: Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, horticulture, forestry, fishery, Veterinary Sciences or Agricultural Engineering.
- For M Tech Biotechnology : B. Tech degree – in chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Industrial Biotech (BE), Leather technology, Pharmaceutical Technology, Food Technology, B. Pharma, and Dairy Technology or Master’s Botany, Zoology Bio-chemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Physiology, Pharmacology and Biophysics.
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi conducts the Combined Entrance examination for admission to M.Sc./M.Sc. (Agri.)/M.V.Sc.(Animal) Biotech/M. Tech Biotechnology in association with other universities in India. Candidates who have done their B. Sc. in physical, biological, agricultural, veterinary and fishery sciences, pharmacy, engineering, technology or medicine can take up this examination.
The Ministry of Science and Technology awards the. Biotechnology Overseas Associateship for advanced research in molecular biology, microbial genetics, gene therapy, virology, tissue culture and so on.
Biotechnology Courses & Degrees
- B. Sc. Courses
- M. Sc. Courses
- M. Sc. (Agriculture) Biotechnology/M.Sc. Animal Biotechnology
- M Tech Biotechnology
Biotechnology salary in India
Average Salary of an Biotechnology in India is between per annum