In India, home remedies for cold and cough in babies are passed on in the form of well-guarded family secrets from one generation to another. Home remedies or grandma recipes as they are lovingly called help new moms keep their infants & babies safe from enemies such as the flu virus that causes cold, cough, throat infection and others.
Remedy 1: Breast Milk/Mother’s Milk
For a newborn baby upto 6 months old, breast milk is the most natural way of curing infections that cause cold and cough in babies. A mother’s milk has healing properties which gives proper nutrition to the babies and helps them fight the flu virus that causes infections. The warm embrace of the mother also helps calm down the babies when they become cranky.
Remedy 2: Homemade Nasal Drops
If a newborn baby is crying too much or is showing signs of troubled breathing, he/she may have a blocked nose. You can create your very own nasal drops by following the below recipe:
- Take sterilized spoon and bowl
- Take 8 tsp filtered lukewarm water (make sure to check the temperature of the water & ensure it is not too hot)
- Mix ½ tsp of salt in the filtered water in the sterilized bowl.
To apply the nasal drops, tilt the babies head gently. Keep his/her head tilted while putting the drops.
Please note: Do not store the saline nasal mixture. It is prone to bacteria. It is advised to make a fresh solution each time. Also, please visit the doctor if the baby’s health is not improving after one application of the nasal drops.
Remedy 3: Turmeric Paste
Turmeric or haldi is a well-known magic ingredient in Indian home remedies. Our grandmothers just love using haldi for its healing properties in case of cough and cold in babies. Since children upto 2 year old cannot digest turmeric, the best way to use it is by making a paste for external application.
To create and apply the paste, follow the below steps:
- Take 1 tsp of haldi
- Take 1 cup of warm water
- Mix the haldi and water together till the form a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture on the baby’s chest, forehead and feed.
- Keep it applied till it begins to dry
- Wipe it away with a warm towel
Remedy 4: Mustard Oil Massage
Mustard oil or sarson ka tel as is a trusted way for mothers to strengthen their babies bones. However, not many new mothers know that a warm mustard oil massage is one of the best ways of treating cold and cough in babies upto 2 years old.
To do the warm mustard oil massage, follow the below steps
- Take a cup of mustard oil/sarson ka tel
- Take two cloves of garlic
- Take a few kalonji seeds
- Mix all the ingredients together and warm them up
- Take the lukewarm infused oil and apply to the baby’s feet, back, chest and palms
- After massaging for 10 mins, take a soft towel and wipe the excess oil away
Remedy 5: Infused Coconut Oil Massage
Coconut oil massage is a well-known home remedy. For treating cold and cough in babies, you can create an infused coconut oil following the below recipe:
- Take ½ cup of coconut oil
- Take 1 peeled and chopped onion
- Take 2 to 3 tulsi leaves
- Take 1 betel stem (paan ka patta)
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Heat them up and bring them to a boiling point
- Take the mixture off the stove and let it cool down, till it becomes applicable on the child’s body
- Apply it to the baby’s chest, feet, palms, and back.
Remedy 6: Steam & Gargling
This remedy is for kids who are 1 year old and above. Gargling & steam not just helps in treating the cold and cough, it also helps in soothing the kids down. For gargling, please mix lukewarm water with rock salt (kala namak) to get the best results. Gargling twice a day is ideal for faster recovery.
For steam, please make sure that you do not give your child steam directly from the boiling tumbler. It can be disastrous if the child touches the tumbler if it falls. Please consider buying a steam inhaler if your child frequently catches cough and cold.
Remedy 7: Ajwain-Tulsi ka Paani ( Infused Water)
This remedy is for kids who are 6 months or older and have been introduced to drinking water. To make this, follow the below recipe:
1. Take ½ tsp ajwain
2. Take ½ tsp cumin seeds
3. Take 4-5 tulsi leaves
4. Take 2 cups of filter water
5. Mix all the ingredients together and heat them, till they reach a boiling point
6. Filter the water and let it cool till it becomes lukewarm
7. Give a half-cup of this water to your child at one time
These are the best home remedies for cold and cough for babies. While these recipes will definitely help your child recover, please make sure that you do not force your child to do any of it. If the child is resisting or is being cranky, please visit a nearby doctor. The SchoolMyKids team wishes your child a speedy recovery 🙂